Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Have You Really Thought About It?

With Memorial Day coming up, I usually really stop and think about, and remember the sacrifices of military members and their families, see here and here. Having been a Navy wife for 15 years, I lived all over the world and I've seen alot. I know alot about the sacrifices military families make, we were one. I also know about sending your husband off to parts unknown and praying for his safety, except, there was that part of me I had to put on hold, the part that could even fathom that he wouldn't come home alive. I was sooo very blessed that D did always come back to me. Every time.

Photobucket

But, sometimes God intervenes and takes a husband or wife home i.e. heavenly home, rather than sending them home to their family. He doesn't give us warning, just one day they're with us, the next they're not. When that occurs halfway around the world, I can only imagine it just feels surreal, like it isn't really happening, like the Army must have it wrong, it wasn't my husband or wife in that convoy, when that suicide bomber struck. Nope, they're wrong, he's gonna call me, or email me and tell me that this is all a big mistake, or waking up morning after morning, after the blessed oblivion of sleep, only to realize, that the other side of the bed is empty, you are now a single parent, and your soulmate in life is gone. Suddenly, the nightmare is appallingly real. Sure, you'll see them again, but you miss them NOW, you need them NOW.

Photobucket

I don't think most of us think about it in that much detail on a daily basis. Sure, we're grateful for all of the brave men and women that sacrifice their time and risk life and limb to secure freedom for the rest of us, but I doubt that we really think about what that truly means. I was a Navy wife, and I avoided really thinking about it. I think it was too close, too possible, and I couldn't let myself go there. Well, the day before yesterday, I did. I allowed myself to go there. Oddly enough, because a family, friends of ours that we'd lost touch with, well, it happened to them.

My friend Margo and her two daughters are without their amazing husband and father, he was killed in Afghanistan this week. I was up with a teething baby at 3:30 am, and D checked his email to find :

Dear Church,

I'm deeply saddened, dismayed, and completely perplexed that i have to write to you concerning the untimely death of Col. Tom Belkofer (age 45) on duty in Afghanistan, yesterday. Those of us who knew him can only scratch our heads and ask why? Tom was a great man and leaves behind his wife Margo and two teen-aged girls. They were very involved at Calvary while stationed here, and we deeply mourn this loss. We know he's with God in perfect bliss, but we are still stunned by such a sudden loss. Please pray.

Mark

Stunned, doesn't even begin to describe it. Then, my heart started breaking for Margo and the girls. When they lived in Maryland, Tom was a Major, and we used to make "Ground Control to Major Tom" jokes, and he gave as good as he got. He was an amazing man who loved God, treasured his wife and adored his girls. There are no words to express our sorrow at Tom's passing. No words that would make it better. There is a gaping hole in the world now, that Tom Belkofer isn't in it.


This is the homecoming video our friend Craig made for Tom when he was deployed to Afghanistan in 2006...

HOMECOMING VIDEO from cedarcreek.tv production on Vimeo.



This my friend Margo, Tom's wife. This video was played at Tom's funeral.

MARGO BELKOFER STORY (for Service) from cedarcreek.tv production on Vimeo.


They are an amazing family, and Margo just blows me away.

So, I guess, I say all of this to put out there, don't ever, ever forget the sacrifices are very real. They happen to real families, with real children, whose hearts and lives are really shattered when they don't come home. Pray for these families, pray like you never have before.....hug your husband, your wife, your kiddos, hug em' tight.......just because you can.....because, freedom is indeed, NOT free.

May your day be blessed....

Only Because of Jesus,


anne

Photos from Google images

3 comments:

  1. Hello Anne
    I am so sorry to read your post, I pray for peace, strength and the precious love of Jesus wrapped around this family even now and the deep understanding that God is in control and that He so loves them... in the mighty name of Jesus...
    Nice to meet you Anne- God bless you today.
    Blessings
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Rebecca, for your lovely prayer! The Belkofer family truly knows and loves the Lord, and my friend that flew up to stay with them, said they're blasting the song "Homesick" by Mercy Me, and crying and missing him like crazy, but, God is THERE. You're right, He IS in control, every day, all the time. What a blessing your comment has been! And, Rebecca, I'm so glad to have met you too! May your day be blessed.......

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Annie, people like Tom and Margo (and you and Daniel, and so many others) have such amazing strength and faith. Margo's presentation must have taken such courage, and she did it with such grace. I will keep this family in my heart, and pray for them often as Margo and her girls move through life now, missing and continuing to love this fine husband, father, and American.

    ReplyDelete